Friday 6 January 2017

Second Trimester Update


I feel like I've been pregnant for the longest time, yet I still can't believe that I am now here in my third trimester. My personal life was dealt a few blows during my second trimester, I even used to joke that my pregnancy was the only thing going right at the moment. Then a pretty nasty diagnosis a couple of weeks ago threw a spanner into the works there too! Still, I am determined to remain positive.


The second trimester started where the first left off really, I was still feeling sick for the first couple of weeks, but that cleared up just in time for my gender scan at 16 weeks. If you've not read the post and would like to, I'll leave a link to the gender reveal here, but SPOILER ALERT....it's a boy!! We are so so excited, especially as we are the first people in 23 years on my mum's side of the family to have a boy. I know already he's going to be spoilt rotten by everyone - a male a such a novelty! - and I've also been making lots of little purchases during my second trimester to ensure he's the best dressed little boy around. I can't seem to be able to go shopping without picking something up for him - my bank account does not appreciate it & I need to learn to stop!

As well as lots of cute little outfits, we've made most of the big practical purchases during the second trimester too, such as the pram and his nursery furniture. We are now in the middle of the huge mission of clearing out his room, which was our spare room, to make sure we've actually got the space to build this furniture. It's a big task but I really want to get it finished by the end of this month.

Probably the most exciting part of the second trimester has been being able to feel him move. I first started noticing little flutters at around 15 weeks - I think, though looking back that must've been what they were! - which then turned into proper kicks around the 19 week mark. It wasn't too long after that that my husband was able to feel the movement too, so he's obviously got some strong legs on him! Even more exciting, but slightly strange too, is when you're able to actually see the movements from the outside. I remember sitting on the sofa on the Sunday evening of my 22nd week and catching a glimpse out the corner of my eye. My husband & I then stared at my belly and sure enough there was another kick out. Now it's obviously a regular thing and you can even see when he's just wriggling about - very strange but very cool! I'm yet to see a hand or foot though, that will probably terrify me when the time comes!

Another really nice stage of pregnancy was when you actually start to look like you're pregnant, and you realise people have stopping looking at you wondering if you've just put on a bit of weight! My belly popped out quite considerably at 14 weeks, but it was the 18 week stage when I got to that "definitely pregnant" pregnant stage. Unfortunately, it was around the same time that my aches and pains started, particularly in my back, I've had back problems for a good few years now, so I was always prepared for it to become an issue again when I got pregnant. It's not been too bad so far, I just have to make sure I don't do too much at once - otherwise I end up not being able to move!

People always ask me if I've had any weird cravings , and then look at me disappointed when I say no! The only thing I really craved during my second trimester was Dairylea Lunchables, you know the cheese & ham cracker things?! My husband was forever popping to the shop for another pack. Not exactly weird compared to stories I've heard from others, but since I'd not had one since I was in school, I did find it a strange choice.

Now, onto that diagnosis I mentioned earlier. On 20th December I went for my glucose tolerance test. As I have a family history to type 2 diabetes, this appointment had been booked in since I first saw my midwife, but it was still a shock to hear the next day that I had gestational diabetes. I was so upset and worried at the consequences this could have for my baby, I sat at work inconsolable. Christmas is not exactly the easiest time to start being really careful with what you're eating, but I think I did really well, and when I went for my appointment on 28th, the doctor was really pleased with the blood sugar levels I'd recorded through the holiday period.

Now having lived through it, I can see why people say the second trimester is the best. No more feeling sick, lots of new bonding experiences between you and baby, and you don't get the energy slump I seem to have developed going into the third - though the diabetes could also be partly to blame for that! I've now got just six weeks until I finish work and I absolutely cannot wait for that day to come so that I can start making the final preparations for our little boys arrival, as well as enjoying those last few weeks of piece and quiet!


No comments :

Post a Comment