Monday 2 January 2017

Most Used Products Of 2016


I don't think I really made too many new beauty discoveries in 2016, certainly not compared to previous years anyway. For me, my priorities changed and I'd much rather have gone out and bought clothes & essentials for my unborn child, or more practical items, than lots of treats for myself (that's not to say I didn't every now & again!). For me, 2016 was more about discovering what worked for me beauty wise and then sticking with that, so there aren't many new launches as such within this post, though a few were new to me personally this year. So here's my run down of my most reached for products throughout 2016.


One new launch I was desperate to get my hands on at the start of this year was the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Blush Palette. The shades looked so pretty and subtle, right up my street in terms of cheek shades, and I haven't been disappointed at all, as it's what I reach for most days now. My favourite shades are Easy and Hush, which you can see swatches of here.

When I first wrote my review of the Rimmel Lasting Finish Nude Foundation, it was a bit of a "meh?" product for me. I was neither wowed nor particularly disappointed by it, but it did come in handy as more of a lightweight base come the summer, so I persevered with it, and it's now actually a firm favourite. I love the finish if gives on my skin, which may also have something to do with the tool I am using to apply it. It may seem odd to some to include a makeup brush in a post like this, but I literally use nothing else to apply any of my foundations anymore, so it was an obvious choice. I reach for the Zoeva Silk Finish Brush so much that I've had to now purchase back ups, as my original from the rose gold collection is looking a little worse for wear. It applies foundation so evenly, leaving a flawless finish on the skin. I. Love. It.

2016 has seen me rock the neutral eyes and lip look pretty much most of the time. Not very original I know, but it's what I feel most comfortable in, so it was inevitable that all of the products in this post were going to be of the nude variety! In fact, I've recently had a good clear out of all of the beautiful eyeshadow palettes that I loved but just wasn't getting use of of because of the shade range. One palette I have kept in my collection is the Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette. It's simply stunning and filled with plenty of neutral shades, in a mix of matte & shimmer finishes, to create a variety of looks. It's quite compact in size, which makes it so easy to just grab and use, as I have done many times over the last twelve months. I particularly love the middle row (you can see swatches here) for a really simple look that can be smoked up if desired. If I've been in a total rush and just want something I can quickly swipe on and go, I've been reaching for the Maybelline Colour Tattoo in On & On Bronze. Again this falls into the neutral category, but it has a beautiful subtle shimmer to it, which makes it the perfect shadow to wear on its own and still look put together. This will be a must repurchase in 2017.

One mascara that never fails to give me great results is the YSL Babydoll Mascara, as it gives such good length to my lashes and never looks clumpy. I've been using this for a couple of years now, and with it being quite pricey I do sometimes feel guilty for using it so often, but whenever a special occasion comes along my husband without fail will restock me with one, and this Christmas was no exception, so I've rarely had to pay for one myself!

Without doubt my most used lip product has been the Charlotte Tilbury Bitch Perfect Lipstick. I feel like I've become obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury lippies over the past year - a more expensive addiction to have than MAC but never mind! This shade seems to suit my skin tone so well, and looks great paired with a variety of other products. This teeny tiny version came part as a gift set and I'm running so low I'm in desperate need of a full size soon. Another new product for 2016 that I was impressed with was the Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lip Colours. My favourite shade by far from the small collection I picked up is Seduction, a gorgeous peachy nude. Again it suits my skintone very nicely and I find it really easy to apply as one of those swipe and go products.

My skincare stash is looking absolutely ridiculous at the moment! I have so many products to get used, or even to start, I can't see myself picking up many new launches in 2017! There is one product that has remained a constant in my daily stash, and even had to be repurchased though, and that is the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum. It just sinks into the skin so nicely and then draws in whatever moistursier I just happen to put on top that day, leaving my skin feeling so soft and hydrated, without any tacky residue. I'm pretty sure this is the reason my foundation has been sitting so nicely too.

Once upon a time I was obsessed with anything Marc Jacobs when it came to fragrance. I still have a lot in my collection, and use them quite regularly, but for me now it is all about Jo Malone, particularly since I picked up the Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne earlier this year. It's such a crisp, fresh scent, making it perfect for everyday wear. The only problem with that is that I'm getting through the bottle quite quickly! It's not often I end up having to repurchase a fragrance - hopefully it can hold out til next Christmas!

Which beauty products did you use most in 2016?


No comments :

Post a Comment