Monday 30 May 2016

Quick Fix Facial Calming Clay Mask


I love a good face mask, so I'm always scouring the shelves of Boots & Superdrug looking for something new to try. My skin has been dry ever since I left my teenage years behind, and it's always prone to redness, particularly around my cheeks and nose, so after spotting this mask which promises to calm the skin and reduce redness, I was keen to give it a go, especially as it was so cheap at just £4.99 for quite a large 100ml tube.


I got the mask home and did a little bit of research on the product (probably should've done this the other way round but hey ho!). There seemed to be some very mixed reviews in the blogosphere. Some absolutely loved it and thought it did wonders for their skin, whilst others had seen some pretty horrific results from wearing this mask. After being put off using it for a while, I decided to give it a go anyway to see how it would fair on my own skin. After all, I could end up being one of the ones that loved it.


When you first squeeze the product out of the tube, you think it's going to be quite a thick consistency, but as you start to rub it onto your face, it quickly thins out, meaning you need to use quite a lot of product to get that thick layer that the instructions suggest you use. It recommends leaving the mask on for around 5-10 minutes, so I opted for 8 before removing with a warm damp flannel.

One thing that did really surprise me about this product, considering that it is marketed as a clay mask, was that it began sinking into my skin rather than hardening as other clay masks I use do. Some people that had used this mask had complained that they felt a really painful burning on their skin whilst wearing it. Whilst I did feel a slight tingling sensation, it wasn't painful at all so I didn't worry too much.

It wasn't until I came to remove the mask that I noticed a real problem. Whilst there didn't seem to be much of a difference to most of my face, my cheeks and nose had become noticeably redder, to the point where it looked like my nose had majorly caught the sun. The tingling sensation I felt also became gradually worse. It was never painful but it was definitely uncomfortable. My skin also felt quite tight, it had definitely been dried out by the mask, so I had to slap on some of my Origins Drink Up mask to get some much needed moisture back.

For such a cheap product, I wasn't expecting miracles, but I definitely wasn't expecting it to do the complete opposite to what it claimed to do. I was expecting to be left with soothed and hydrated skin, but instead it was left red and irritated. This should definitely not be advertised as being aimed at sensitive skin. Moral of the story here is that I should've done my research beforehand, as I don't think I'd have ended up purchasing it. Whilst I didn't come off anywhere near as bad as some people did, I definitely didn't like the way this mask made my skin feel, so I won't be using it again.



No comments :

Post a Comment