Friday 4 September 2015

L'Oreal Brow Artist Genius Kit


It's all about the brows in the beauty world at the moment, and that doesn't look like ending anytime soon. To cash in on the hype, so many drugstore brands have been releasing new brow products. I've been searching for a cheaper alternative to my beloved Benefit Gimme Brow for a while but have been left bitterly disappointed. When it eventually ran out a few weeks ago, I thought perhaps it was time to stop looking for the perfect dupe and try some of the other brow products on the market. L'Oreal's Brow Artist Genius Kit seemed to be getting a lot of praise and looked to be the ideal travel brow compact, so I decided to pick one up.




Having read a few reviews online, I felt a bit cheated that my kit didn't seem to come with the instructions insert that everyone else seemed to get. I don't know if that's because they don't come with the kit anymore, or if mine was just missing one. Maybe I'm being a bit picky - the instructions are on the back, but are tiny.

So inside the kit you get a tinted wax, setting powder, a mini pair of tweezers and a double ended brush, which comes with a firm angled brush on one end and a spooley on the other. The kit is so neat and compact, and comes with a mirror in the lid, so it's perfect for travelling with. The kit comes in two different shade choices (this may be where the product falls down a little, I think more shade choices would be good) - light to medium & medium to dark. I went with the latter and it seems to be a good match for my brows.

The first step for styling your brows is to apply some of the wax to the angled brush and use it to create your desired shape for your brows. I found the texture of the wax to be really nice, it definitely sets your brows in place but you can't really feel that it's there and it doesn't make your brows feel horrible and crusty like some waxes can after a while. The wax has a hint of colour to it, so your able to fill in any gaps just using this alone.

The next step is to apply the powder to the same end of the brush to enhance to brow line. I only really do this step if I want a more intense look, for example for a night out, as like I said the wax does a good job of filling in the brows on it's own. If you've got very dark brows though, you might want to use the powder with each use, as the wax may be too light to match your brow colour. The powder is very natural looking and lasts throughout the day.

Finally use the spooley end to brush through the brows and make sure your getting the finish you want. Both ends of the brush a very firm so it's easy to brush though your brows and move the hairs into the desired position.

I didn't think I'd be too fussed about the tweezers - being so small I wasn't sure how good they'd be and thought they would be quite fiddly to use, but they are surprising very good, and I'd definitely use these instead of my normal tweezers when I'm travelling.

Overall I'm really impressed with this little kit. The products are simple to use and leave my brows with a nice natural finish that lasts all day long. I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to go out and repurchase the Gimme Brow now I have this. At £9.99, it's almost half the price and does almost as good a job. It might not be quite as quick to use during an early morning rush, but having those tiny tweezers there will definitely come in handy when I'm on the go.

Have you tried the L'Oreal Brow Artist Genius Kit? What's your favourite brow product?


1 comment :