Saturday 16 August 2014

Birchbox - August 2014


I've been pretty disappointed with my last two Birchboxes and was considering cancelling my subscription after this month's box if things didn't improve. Luckily Birchbox appear to have redeemed themselves a little this month, so they live to see another month on my blog!



Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect A leave-in conditioning spray to detangle and protect against heat and sun damage. £20.00
My hair is forever getting tangled, and it takes a really good product to control my unruly locks, so this is a nice little product for me to try out if it keeps its promises, and it's always good to have some heat protection for your hair too. This smells quite strong, I really don't like the scent at all, but I'm hoping the lovely scent of my shampoo and conditioner will mute this down a little when I come to use it after washing my hair.

Chella Highlighter Pencil Highlight the brow bone, cheekbones and inner corners of eye with this chunky pencil. £15.95
I was quite excited when I saw this in my box, as I love highlighting products. Having swatched it though, I'm not sure how well this would actually work as a highlighter. It doesn't appear to have any sheen to it, which I would want if I was going to use this on my cheeks. I may just reserve this for use on my browbones, as I prefer a more subtle look there anyway, and this product does blend out very nicely.

Nude ProGenius Omega Treatment Oil This nourishing oil is rich in omegas 3, 6, 7 and 9 for hydrated, smooth skin. £58.00
This looks like a really interesting product. Having tried a bit on the back of my hand, it left it feeling really soft afterwards, without a horrible oily residue. I think this is going to be a really nice product for my dry skin and I'll enjoy giving this a test out, but at £58 for a full size, unless this works miracles, I doubt this will end up being a repurchase.

Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator A multi-action exfoliator to ensure a renewed, refreshed complexion. £26.00
Another interesting face product that I can't wait to try. The exfoliating beads in this are tiny, so it shouldn't be too harsh on my sensitive skin, but I do wonder how much of a deep clean this will give as a result, as there doesn't appear to be too many scrubby particles either. I don't use products like this very often, so it will be interesting to see what effect this has.

Supergoop! Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream A natural shade-adjusting CC cream with SPF to smooth fine lines and even out skin tone. £32.00
Did everyone else that received this in their box receive two samples? At first I thought it was two different shades, but both of mine are light to medium. I guess it makes sense, as the sample tubes are pretty small, so it gives me a better chance to form an opinion on the product before I run out! It did come out a bit dark for my liking at first but it actually does blend out and adjust to my skin tone really well. It hasn't got the most pleasant of scents but I can overlook that, as this appears to be a pretty good product.

The Proposal by Tasmina Perry Chapter one of this spellbinding and romantic novel, which spans 1950s London and present day NYC. £7.99
This lifestyle extra is a really good idea. I have been trying to read a lot more this year, but can find it quite disappointing when I buy a book and just can't get into it. Having a little chapter sampler gives me the chance to try the book out, and if I like it I can always go out and buy the whole thing. I've not started to read this yet, but just looking at the back of the book, this looks like it could be my kind of novel.

This box is a vast improvement on the last couple of months, with the majority of products interesting me. The highlighting pencil was a bit of a disappointment, but I'm sure I'll get some use out of it, even if not what I was hoping to use it for. I'm also happy that I didn't receive another body butter or lotion this month - there seemed to be one of these in my boxes every month, none of which really wowed me at all, so I was getting a bit sick of them. Another surprise element this month was the packaging that the products came in - a clear, zip up case with a cute lollipop design instead of the usual drawstring bag. I think this will be much handier for storing things in.

Did you receive this months Birchbox? What products did you get?

2 comments :

  1. I would've been dissapointed with that browbone highlighter too. It seems kind of strange that a highlighter could not really work out very well, makes me wonder what kind of standard the rest of the brand runs to :/ Other than that looks like a pretty decent box!

    Deb | Debra Bros Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite disappointing, especially when you look at the price it retails for! Luckily the rest of the box was much better this time xx

      Delete