Tuesday 10 June 2014

Avon Mega Effects Mascara


I've been quite intrigued by this strange contraption ever since it was released last year. I'd never seen a mascara quite like it - but was it the latest great innovation in mascara application or just a gimmick? I wanted to wait until this was on offer before giving it a go. I'd seen very mixed reviews, and I wasn't sure if I was going to love it or hate it, so I didn't want to pay full whack to find out!



The packaging is actually a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be, so it's perfect for throwing in your makeup bag. When you pull the cap off, the handle of the brush is sticking out of the base, which you have to wiggle from side to side the get the brush to come out. This is a little tricky to get out the first time you come to use it, but it becomes much easier after the first time.


The brush, when you pull it out, is actually quite scary looking. It's got lots of little sharp-looking bristles and I was a little scared of poking myself in the eye with them! The handle can be adjusted to whatever angle you want to apply at, but I found that the handle was so short that application was tricky at whatever angle I used. Because of the shape of the brush, I found it quite difficult to get to my inner lashes, without running the risking of poking myself in the eye with the bristles.The brush packs in quite a lot of product, which was also quite wet, so you have to be very careful when applying the mascara, or your going to end up in a mess with mascara all over your lids, so this isn't the mascara to be using when you're in a rush to get ready. I also found that, as the product was so wet, it would clump some of the lashes together rather than separating them and when you blink you end up with product under your eyes. All in all, it's a pretty messy product.

Please excuse the untamed brows - this was a few days before my wedding and I was due a threading session!
Once the mess was cleared up, I was pretty happy with the length that this mascara gave to my lashes but, rather than giving me extra volume, it just clumped some of my lashes together. I also found that it didn't hold a curl particularly well either, so the results after a few hours are pretty poor.

Overall, I think this mascara is much more of a gimmick than a useable product and I was disappointed to find this from a brand that I've come to love over the years. You'd have to have the patience of a saint and a lot of makeup remover soaked cotton buds to get on with this mascara. If you do, and you prefer more of a lengthening mascara to one that gives volume, then this might be the mascara for you, as the length was pretty good, but it certainly wasn't the one for me.

Have you tried this mascara? What did you think?

5 comments :

  1. I haven't tried this mascara, but am not sure I'm very tempted...it does look a little gimmicky but worth a try I guess. Thanks for the helpful review! Danielle x

    frontière girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like trying different mascara so thank you for this review as I think I'll avoid this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about threading but didn't know anyone that had had it done. Is it expensive and if so, is it a frequent thing to have done or just a treat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get mine done at Leamington Superdrug (the Coventry ones don't do threading) and it costs £6 a time so not very expensive. I usually get them done every six weeks or so xx

      Delete