Tuesday 25 February 2014

My Favourite Nail Polishes For Spring


So Spring is (almost) here, and it's time to start thinking about switching up my makeup and nail polish for the new season. We had a bit of good weather where I live over the weekend (though the wind & rain did return on Sunday afternoon, eurgh!), and I was inspired to dig out all of my favourite spring nail shades and give my nails a quick paint. As you can see, I have a real love for pastel shades, and my collections is pretty big, but I thought I'd pick out my top five for you.


l-r: Blueberry, Caramel Cupcake, Mint Candy Apple, Lemon Drop & Prickly Pear.
 
1. Barry M Gelly Hi Shine in Blueberry. The Barry M Gelly Hi Shine polishes are my all time favourite formula. They give such a glossy finish without even using a top coat and are opaque in two coats. I have probably purchased the majority of the collection by now, and have a few brights which I love to wear in the summer. My favourite colour is sky blue, and the Blueberry shade in the collection is a pretty good match for this, so this one gets worn very often.
 
2. Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polish in Caramel Cupcake. These nail polishes really are super-fast drying. It comes with a wider brush, so less strokes are needed when applying. I have found though, with some of the shades they do require a third coat before being completely opaque. This shade was good to go in two coats and had a nice smooth finish. This shade is a lot more subtle than the other shades I have chosen, which would make it perfect to wear in the office.
 
3. Essie Nail Polish in Mint Candy Apple. When I first started reading beauty blogs, I jumped on the Essie bandwagon and bought quite a few of their nail polishes. I have to admit though, after trying them I'm not sure I quite get the hype. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty good quality, so I'm not saying I don't like them, but I don't think there's anything about them that sets them apart from other brands at half the price. One of the shades I did purchase and absolutely love is a blogger favourite - Mint Candy Apple. It's more vibrant than I thought it was going to be, but it's very similar to a Tiffany blue colour which I love.
 
4. Rimmel Lasting Finish Nail Polish in Lemon Drop. I'm not the biggest fan of this formula, I have to admit. For me, it takes too long to dry and it's quite difficult to get an even finish - you have to be really patient with it! This shade is just so, so pretty though, so if I have the time to wait around, I'll often pop this one on. One plus side to this nail polish is that it's meant to smell of fruit when it dries. You do have to give it a good old whiff to pick up on that, but it doesn't leave that horrible nail polish smell lingering in the air.
 
5. Barry M Gelly Hi Shine in Prickly Pear. I love these polishes so much, I had to include them twice! Despite sky blue generally being my favourite colour, this lilacy shade is my all time favourite nail polish and was by far my most worn last Spring, probably because it's more of a pastel shade than Blueberry is. This one still be coming out time & time again this year too - I love it!
 
Have you tried any of these nail polishes? What are your favourite Spring nail polishes?
 



2 comments :

  1. The Barry M high shine's are my favourite formula too! They're lovely to apply, they're shiny and most of all they last all day! Hurrah!

    Sharlotte | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty great! I've just picked up the new silk ones which I'm excited to try as they have some great shades for spring too xx

      Delete