Thursday 16 January 2014

Clinique 3-step Skincare Review

 
For a long time now I've wanted to improve my skincare regime, and actually have some sort of routine, rather than just slapping on products when I can be bothered. I'd tried a few Clinique skincare products before and enjoyed using them, so I thought giving the Three Step Skincare range a go would be the best way to get me into a regular routine - three simple steps to follow morning and night. A few months ago, I popped into my local Debenhams and had a consultation with the lady at the Clinique counter, who said I was a type 2 skin type (dry/combination). I decided to opt for the £20 sample pack, which gives you about 3-4 weeks worth of each product, rather than committing to buying the full sized products - I'd heard very mixed reviews about this range, so wanted to give a thorough testing before spending so much money. Let's just say I'm glad I did it this way!
 

 
Step 1 - Liquid Face Soap Mild. The first step was obviously to cleanse my skin. This is a foaming cleanser that you rub into damp skin to give it a good clean, then remove with a damp face cloth. The product lathered up quite nicely on the skin and did a good job of removing my face make up, though I did need to use a separate product for removing my eye make up. Not so much of a problem for me but I know some people like to use one product for the lot for convenience. The problem I had with this product was that it left my skin feeling so dry. By the time I'd removed the product my skin was in desperate need of some re-hydration! This was enough to put me off and, as there are many other cleansers out there that do just as good a job at removing my make up whilst still keeping it hydrated, I will not be repurchasing this one.
 
 
Step 2 - Clarifying Lotion Skin Type 2. Wow, you can definitely smell the alcohol in this product! Unfortunately, I had to stop using this product just over a week into my testing, as it was just too painful to use. My skin was bright red after use and felt like it was burning! I persevered with it, thinking it was just something my skin would get used to and would calm down eventually, but if anything it was getting worse! Very disappointing...and of course will not be repurchasing!
 
 
Step 3 - Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion +. This was the only step of the routine that I found really worked for me and enjoyed using (not all bad then, hey?). It gave me the moisture I was so desperately craving after using the first two steps and I felt like my skin was glowing (once the redness had calmed down!). It's lovely and light and sinks into the skin nicely without feeling like it's overloaded. I've actually already purchased the full size of this product, which comes with a handy pump, so you get just the right amount each time. I'm only using this as my daytime moisturiser now, as I feel my skin does need a little something extra at night, but I'm loving the healthy look this gives to my skin during the day.
 
Overall I wasn't very impressed with the Clinique Three Step range - I'm just so glad I decided to buy the sample kit, which I would recommend doing if you are thinking of trying these products out yourself. At least I did manage to find one product which has made it into my everyday skincare routine. I do wonder though, if I had tried out the kit for type 1 skin (dry/very dry) I might have seen different results, and maybe the clarifying lotion would have been mild enough for me to continue using for the whole 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I'm not prepared to spend another £20 to find out!
 
Have you tried the Clinique Three Step Skincare range? What products do you have in your skincare routine?
 
 




6 comments :

  1. Where I work we sell Clinique and the number of people that hate the 3 step system never fails to amaze me! The Clarifying Lotion is awful, awful stuff - totally strips your skin, no wonder your poor face is burning! Glad you found something you liked though, the only stuff from Clinique's skincare that's any good are their moisturisers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I liked the moisturiser too - didn't make it a total waste of £20 ha! xx

      Delete
  2. I used to the Clinique 3-Step System for combination/oily skin religiously. It worked well, but eventually I ventured off into other things. This is good first step if you're just starting to really take care of your skin.

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, you poor girly- really doesn't sound like that much of a pleasant experience with the first two! At least you found a moisturiser that you like :)
    Great, honest review!
    L xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun. It really wasn't pleasant, especially the toner, ouch! The moisturiser is lovely though, glad I found it xx

      Delete